Sunday, November 11, 2007

China

I'm in NYC, getting my travel visa for my upcoming trip to China; and while I was on the train my head filled with many thoughts of love, loss, fear and the future. I am still sorting them out, but this passage from the The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman seemed oddly appropriate:

I'd made myself believe that I was fine and happy and fulfilled on my own without the love of anyone else. Being in love was like China: you knew it was there, and no doubt it was very interesting, and some people went there, but I never would. I'd spend all my life without ever going to China, but it wouldn't matter because there was all the rest of the world to visit. But then I realized I had been to China...And I thought: am I really going to spend the rest of my life without that feeling again? I thought I want to go to China. It's full of treasures and strangeness and mystery and joy...

1 comment:

Lady Strathconn said...

Something is going on with my Bloglines and all of a sudden I am getting old posts. I recently got this post again on my list.

I am commenting because I was reading the "The Amber Spyglass" and the night I read your post, I came across that paragraph. It was a great moment in the book. (But, then I couldn't remember who posted it.)

I am so glad you are still here with us, your readers, and I wish you the best in the New Year.