Saturday, October 27, 2007

keene state

To my chagrin, the Keene State Children's Literature Festival was on Saturday, the same night as the much-anticipated Red Sox World Series game. I considered weaseling out of going, but my accompanying blue rose girls assured me that we'd get back in time. So I went and I was quite happy I did. It has been a while since I have been to a conference, especially as an attendee. In the recent past I have only gone when I was presenting or speaking; I'd forgotten how enjoyable it was to go just as an observer.

All the speakers were great, but the standout of the day to me was Richard Peck. His speech was so well written, sharp and witty it shamed me to think that we are of the same profession. Not everything he said I agreed with, but the way he phrased things were so extraordinary that I couldn't help but admire. I found myself writing down quotes, (like "The only way one can write is by the light of the bridges burning behind you.") which I rarely do.


Another highlight was seeing the Owl Gallery--the collection or original owl illustrations from children's book illustrators. Both Anna's and Alissa's were gorgeous, as I knew they would be. I was suppose to send one of my own in a long time ago...oops! But now I am inspired to do it.

The last excitement of the day was that I finally met illustrator Chris Soentpiet who made a snowflake for the first Robert's Snow project, though we didn't speak that much. I had to go catch the baseball game.

1 comment:

Lady Strathconn said...

I saw Keene State in your subject and knew I had to post. I live across the river from Keene in Brattleboro. I didn't even know KSC had a Children's Literature Festival. I guess I will have to look into it next year.